ELB011 (Anti-CD160 antibody in ophthalmology)
Antibody to treat Age-related Macular Degeneration Status: Candidate for the clinic selected
ELSALYS BIOTECH has developed a program based on the anti-angiogenic properties of the anti-CD160 antibody to treat vascular eye diseases and in particular Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD).
Since this therapeutic domain is outside of the strategic field of activity of the company, ELSALYS BIOTECH has established a partnership with the THÉA Laboratories, a French pharmaceutical company specialized in ophthalmology, to develop this product under licence.
Mechanism of action of ELB011
ELSALYS BIOTECH has already performed preclinical studies with very promising results:
- In rabbits, treatment with anti-CD160 blocks the formation of new blood vessels, similar to anti-VEGF agents, in a model of induced corneal angiogenesis
- A combination treatment between an anti-CD160 and an anti-VEGF potentiates the anti-angiogenic effect, suggesting that the two biological pathways are at least partially independent
- A first generation anti-CD160 limits the number of severe lesions induced with a laser and promotes their healing
Development plan and partnership with the THÉA Laboratories
On the basis of these results, ELSALYS BIOTECH has signed in January 2018 a licence option with the THÉA group for programme ELB011.
The next steps planned in the framework of this agreement are:
- By the end of 2018: ELSALYS BIOTECH will continue the preclinical assays aiming for a proof of concept for the use of anti-CD160 antibodies in ophthalmology. The THÉA Laboratories will be able to exercise the option.
- By the end of 2019: ELSALYS BIOTECH will perform, in name of THÉA Laboratories, the regulatory pre-clinical studies and will prepare the application to request an authorisation to perform a first clinical trial
- By the end of 2020: the THÉA Laboratories will initiate the clinical development (as mono- and combination therapy).
Through this agreement, ELSALYS BIOTECH adds value to this first asset, demonstrates its ability to conclude partnerships with industry counterparts and, if successful, this partnership should become a complementary financial resource for the development of the Company.